The Youth Coalition is strongly committed to progressing the further development and sustainability of the youth sector in the ACT, through the implementation of sector development and workforce development initiatives.
The Youth Coalition has been undertaking sector development activities for a number of years, particularly focusing on resource development and information dissemination, training and professional development opportunities, and networking and partnership activities. Through the policy and sector development activities implemented by the Youth Coalition, it has become clear that broader, sector-wide strategies also need to be identified to support the future development and capacity of the youth sector.
The Youth Worker Practice Network (YWPN) is a Community of Practice for youth workers in the ACT. The YWPN is coordinated by the Youth Coalition of the ACT, and advised by a group of experienced youth work practitioners from a range of community organisations and youth programs.
All youth workers in the ACT & surrounding region are invited to apply for membership to the Youth Worker Practice Network.
‘Youth Worker’, for the purpose of membership in the YWPN, is defined as:
- A worker currently employed in a role where their job title or position description includes ‘youth worker’, or
- A worker currently employed in a role where they work with young people (aged 12-25), and utilise youth work skills.
Aims of the Youth Worker Practice Network
The Youth Worker Practice Network will:
- Bring together new and experienced youth practitioners from a range of programs and organisations working with young people in the ACT;
- Enable workers to share their knowledge and insight into current and / or common issues faced by young people in the ACT;
- Provide an opportunity for workers to identify gaps in their own individual learning, or in practice knowledge in the sector, and for these gaps to be addressed;
- Provide an avenue for experienced workers to pass on the skills and knowledge gained from working in the youth sector over a period of time; and,
- Develop the practice of frontline workers, as they raise questions and discuss the issues they face in both their individual practice, and in the programs in which they work.
The Youth Coalition hosts the Youth Housing and Homelessness Forum (YHHF) every two months. The Forums are held on the first Tuesday of the month.
The YHHF aims to provide a forum for housing and homelessness providers to improve their practice in supporting young people who are experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, homelessness in the ACT. The objectives of the YHHF are:
- To provide further opportunity for all youth housing and homelessness providers to share information and identify collaborative opportunities
- To provide a forum to discuss, identify and address practice issues
- To provide an opportunity for housing and homelessness providers to feed issues that affect young people accessing their service directly to the Youth Coalition and to each other
- To identify and contribute to the evidence base informing practice
- To collectively progress strategic issues relating to housing and homelessness services in the ACT and surrounding area