In 2019, the Youth Coalition participated in the Office for Mental Health and Wellbeing’s Review of Children and Young People’s Mental Health. This comprehensive community consultation received responses from over 800 people, including over 300 young people. The Youth Coalition endorses the outcomes of the Review, in particular actions to develop a youth mental health navigation portal, and to scope solutions to support children and young people experiencing moderate to severe mental illness.
We acknowledge that there is a range of new youth mental health initiatives currently underway in the ACT, including the development of a second headspace centre on the southside of Canberra, funding to expand eating disorder services, and planning for the establishment of a youth mental health inpatient unit.
We highlight the following areas for consideration by the Standing Committee:
● Mental health supports for young people aged 18-25 years
● Access to youth mental health services for young people experiencing homelessness
● Information sharing and referral pathways within the mental health sector
● Experiences of young people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
● Supports for young people within schools
● Supports for young people within the context of their families
● Strengthening community confidence in ACT Government mental health services
● Impact of COVID-19 on young people